Saturday, October 12, 2013

Crumb Top Apple Pie

There is apple pie and then there is APPLE PIE! I actually don't know many people who make there own apple pie...in fact the majority of folks I know go out and buy a Mrs Smith's and call it a day! Not that there is anything wrong with that...as far as frozen desserts go, it's actually pretty good!

I've never actually made an apple pie and as I was researching recipes I noted that there are a TON of different kinds of them! I finally decided on a crumb top. I found the original recipe from Bon Appetit's website (listed below) and made a few small changes.
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cinnamon-crumble-apple-pie


Here is what you will need:

For the Crust-
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup frozen solid vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tbl (or more) ice water
- 1/2 tbl apple cider vinegar

For the Filling -
- 3 XL Jumbo Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inches thick
- 3 small Gala Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inches thick
 ***NOTE*** I added the Oxford Coma for my sister and brother-in-law
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbl flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbl unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla

For the Topping-
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Start with the crust - I used a food processor - Add in your flour, salt, sugar, butter and shortening. Process using the pulse until it resembles potting soil (this should only take 8-10 short pulses)
I'm LOVING my new ceramic measuring spoons! 

 It is important to use REAL UNSALTED butter and NOT margarine! Make sure your butter is chilled or it will melt while you are trying to cut it and will not mix correctly into your crust

This is what it should look like when you are done processing it

2. In a small bowl mix 3 tbl ice water and 1/2 tbl of apple cider vinegar...add this into the food processor and pulse...your crust should start to come together now. If it is too dry add a tbl of ice water at a time until it looks like this!


3. Gather up your crust mix and form it into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min.


4. After your 30 minutes is up you will take the crust out of the refrigerator. (Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees) Lightly flour a small space on your counter and begin to roll out your crust. NOW...the original recipe calls for a specific size...I just estimated how big my pie pan was and made it a bit smaller...most recipes have you making it larger as to cover the edges and then you cut the excess off...I don't like to waste crust! I made my just big enough to go up the sides of the pie pan...
ok...I had to share this...I made this at my mother-in-law's house and for the life of me I could not find a rolling pin! As they say necessity is the mother of invention soooooo....I made do

Instead of cutting this little bit off, I folded it back into the pan! No point in wasting the deliciousness!

A bit more rustic than a "Martha Stewart" pie but...I'm not Martha


5. Next you need to core, peel, and cut your apples. The original recipe called for Granny Smith apples only. These are by far my favorite apples...and honestly the best ones to use in a pie as they are crisp and tart...they hold up MUCH better. Using apples like Red Delicious will get you a nice MUSHY mess of a pie and not much flavor. The first time I made this pie I used all Granny Smith but decided it being Fall I would mix it up a bit with the second pie and use a few Galas. They are still pretty crisp but a tad bit sweeter. We liked the pie better with the mixture of apples. (If you decide to go with only Granny Smith you will need 4-5 XL Jumbo ones to make up the difference)


I didn't realize how different the INSIDES of the two apples were! Granny Smith apples are green inside TOO!

Just had to have a shot of the "apple bones"

6. Now you can start with your filling mixture...mix all your ingredients together in a small bowl and then pour over apples. Because you are only adding in a couple of tbl of butter the mixture will look dry but not to worry...it will pull the moisture from the apples making a wonderful filling! 
See how dry!

This is what it looks like when you first stir it into the apples...still a bit dry.
You are going to let this sit while you mix up the topping
****NOTE****
The amt of vanilla you will use will vary if you decide to use Granny Smith only - to 1/2 tsp

7. For the topping you are going to mix up all the ingredients into the food processor except the butter. Then add in your cubes of chilled butter...about 10 pulses in the food processor and you are good to go!

8. Stir your apples to distribute the juices that have now magically appeared and add them into the pie crust!



It is at this time that it is your privilege (nay your obligation and right as chef) to eat one of these apples...they taste like an apple fritter with none of the bread!

9. Once your apples are added into your crust, you can add your topping...pressing lightly into the apples!

10. Start by baking this at 400 degrees for 40 min (if it starts to burn around the edges, add some foil to them and continue baking). Then turn your oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 45 min (or until you can stick a knife into the middle and it goes right through the apples)


11. Let cool for 20-30 min before serving!






No comments:

Post a Comment