Monday, December 9, 2013

Peppermint Red Velvet Cookies

Want an easy holiday cookie? Try these Peppermint Red Velvet Cookies


Here is where I got the original recipe!

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2012/12/peppermint-red-velvet-cookies-with-peppermint-kisses/
I did make a few suggestions on changes I would make if I make these again


Here is what you will need:
1 pkg Hershey's Peppermint Kisses
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tbls cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tbls red food coloring
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp peppermint extract

1. Start by mixing up your flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a small bowl. If you will use a whisk instead of a spoon, it will mix better. Then pre-heat your oven to 375.



2. In a separate bowl or an electric mixer (with the normal paddle attachment) mix together your sugar and vegetable oil.



3. Add in the egg and mix well with mixer


4. Add in food coloring, vanilla, vinegar and peppermint extract.
 Notice how bright? Don't worry...this will darken up nicely when you add the dry ingredients in!
Had to take a shot of this...looks a bit like someone got hurt!



5. Slowly add in your dry ingredients and mix well. My rule of thumb is to split the dry ingredients into thirds.



6. Once it's mixed up, you can begin to roll your cookies...about a teaspoon-tablespoon size...it's really up to you.
Look how lovely and dark the dough gets after adding in the dry ingredients!

I suggest wearing gloves to roll...Red food coloring is tough to get off of skin! 
***NOTE: If your paddle attachment looks stained after making these cookies, try some comet. 

I lightly sprayed the cookie sheets between each batch



7. I cook these 7 1/2 min and they were perfect. 
This timer was my grandmothers...still works beautifully!




8. Unwrap your kisses and lightly press them into the center. DONE! 
The original recipe says to freeze the kisses. I didn't see a real advantage to this. I froze them for the first batch and didn't for the second batch. As long as you leave them alone they will hold their shape.


Enjoy! I actually like these better slightly cooled.












No comments:

Post a Comment